Monday, September 24, 2012

Is breastfeeding worth the effort?

            When you're making the decision whether or not you will breastfeed you need to understand what there is to gain or what there is to lose. As I did my own research while pregnant, I firmly resolved to breastfeed no matter the obstacles. I encountered a baby that was unable to latch initially, late milk arrival, sore, cracked nipples, plugged ducts, SEVERE oversupply, near constant long term engorgement, unsupportive individuals, lack of sleep related to pumping every two hours prior to my baby learning to latch at 2 months, and mental fatigue. Was all the trouble worth it? YES!!! I would do it again so that my baby can have the above benefits. Now that we have pushed through all the hardships, all the reward I need is to look down at my sweet nursing baby to know that I have made the right choice for both of us. 
            If your breastfeeding relationship failed early on, do not feel badly! There are many organizations to help you give your baby donor milk such as Human Milk 4 Human Babies (www.hm4hb.net) and Eats on Feets (www.eatsonfeets.org). A website called Only The Breast (www.onlythebreast.com) is a place where you can purchase breast milk for your baby.  There are also a number of milk banks from which you can acquire milk for your baby. Having said this, the inverse should be promoted, as well. If you have extra milk, PLEASE donate!!!

Photo Credit: www.thealphaparent.com


No comments:

Post a Comment